Monday, February 26, 2018
Location: Battle Creek Rec Center
Present: Paul Sawyer, Stella Alcantara, Timothy Turner, Patty McDonald, Matthew Barrett,
Phil Fuehrer, Bonnie Watkins, Myra Smiley, JoAnn Clark
Absent: Excused Members – Amina Samatar, John Slade (on leave from the board),
Unexcused Members – Tom Mohr, Tony Parrish, Zander Danielson Sellie, F. Michael Francis
Staff Present: None.
Guests: About four presenters and community members.
Call to Order: 6:42 pm by Council President Paul Sawyer.
Quarterly Financial Reports: Review of Quarterly Report as of 12/31/2017. Presented by Paul Sawyer. Motion to adopt Financial Report by Bonnie Watkins and seconded by Patty McDonald. Approved on Voice Vote
Annual Meeting over two dates Saturday, March 24th (1-4pm) and Monday, March 26th (5-8pm)
Volunteer shifts from board members. Food options from local businesses. Event will be held at the D1 office.
- Rebranding (use of magnets)
- Ask the community what type of work they would like to see from the board?
- Each committee have an area at the Annual Meeting
- Request for other topics will be emailed out to the board by Paul Sawyer
By-Law Amendment to have 2 Representatives per Neighborhood
Presented by Patty McDonald.
Patty McDonald moved to approve By-Law Amendment. Vote 1 in favor, 7 against. 1 abstained.
Executive Director Open Position
Presented by Paul Sawyer. Explained the process.
Young Mentors Group (YMG)
Presented by Timothy Turner. Question: What is the current position of the group as it relates to the board? Meeting is every Thursday at the Sun Ray library from 6-8 pm. Discussed by the group. Bonnie Watkins moved to allocate up to $1,000 for YMG. Seconded by JoAnn Clark. Paul Sawyer called for voice vote. All approved.
Updates from each committee were presented to the board:
CoSCo (Matt Barnett)
- The deadline for each article is the 10th of each month.
- Rolling 45 days events
- Distribution by volunteers to various sites
- Thank You letters were sent to donors
- Restricted reserve is building up
- Carver and Point Douglas variance approved
- Accessory Dwelling Unit (Granny Flats): Study originated by CM Jane Prince
Presented by Paul Sawyer. Paul read from an email sent by Chia Lor. (Youth Organizer)
- Shaquonna Jackson (Outreach Organizer) and Chia took 3 youth on a MN Capitol tour with Senator Foung Hawj on February 20th.
- Office lock changed by the management.
- Met with Saint Paul's AVID coordinator and St. Paul Public School's Social Studies coordinator along with District 2 and 5 planning councils. This is an opportunity for collaboration between the public schools and district councils. We get to let the students know about our events and they give us students to sit on our youth council.
- District 1, 2, 4, and 5 have recently started meeting monthly as a way to build collaboration and support across the East Side district councils.
- The East Side Pride Open Mics have now expanded to twice a month: 2nd Tuesdays at the Conway Rec Center and 4th Tuesdays at the East Side Freedom Library.
- Chia will meet meeting with Betsy Leach and Eastview staff and artists Thursday, March 1st to plan for the mural project at Eastview Rec.
- The District Councils are doing a City project to collect feedback from district council board members. The dates are March 1, 6:30 pm -8:00 pm or Saturday March 3, 10:30 am - noon. Please RSVP to me by tomorrow who can make it and to which session.
Meeting adjourned by Paul Sawyer at 8:39 pm
Seconded by Timothy Turner
All voiced approval.
Minutes submitted by: Stella Alcantara